Need Heating Repairs? Experts Offer Tips
As Halloween approaches, East Providence homeowners might be prepared to be frightened by scary movies, haunted houses, and costumes. They might not be ready to be scared by a malfunctioning heater.
When a heater breaks down, it can lead to a cold and uncomfortable house, resulting in costly repairs. Homeowners can avoid this by following tips from experienced Rhode Island heating contractors.
Home Not Heating Up? Here’s Why
One of the scariest situations a homeowner can experience is walking into a cold house during a frigid fall night – when the heater should be running. If the house is cold and uncomfortable, it means the heater isn’t working correctly and isn’t heating the house to the setting on the thermostat.
There are several reasons why a heater fails to properly warm a house, including:
- The thermostat isn’t working correctly. A contractor will need to inspect it and determine if there is an issue with the wiring, batteries, or the device itself.
- The filter hasn’t been changed in 1-3 months. If the filter is dirty or clogged, it can prevent the warm air from flowing properly.
- The vents are blocked, preventing warm air from flowing through the house.
- The pilot light isn’t working correctly, preventing the heater from turning on and working correctly.
- The heater is too small to properly heat the house.
- The system needs a tune-up.
When You Should Worry About Unusual Sounds
While most sounds that come from a home’s heater are totally normal, some noises can signal a problem that needs heating system repairs.
If homeowners hear banging noises, it can indicate loose or broken components that need to be repaired, such as a blower wheel, heat exchanger, or even ductwork. Rattling can signal loose screws or panels.
Squealing or screeching sounds signal that a broken blower motor or wheel is making odd noises. If the sound is more similar to whistling or hissing, it can indicate a leak in the ductwork.
If households notice grinding sounds, it can signal the blower motor is damaged or other parts of the system need to be repaired.
Property owners need to schedule heater repair services with a heating contractor if any of these sounds are heard in a house.
Why Your Energy Bills Are Rising
If homeowners notice a sharp increase in their utility bills, it doesn’t mean a ghost is secretly running their HVAC system this Halloween. It can instead indicate there is a problem with the home’s heater.
A malfunctioning heater can cause energy bills to increase by:
- Operating inefficiently and using more energy than needed
- A dirty filter that causes the system to overwork
- A malfunctioning thermostat prevents the unit from running according to the programmed settings
- A serious issue, like a cracked heat exchanger
- An old, outdated heater
If homeowners notice their energy bills getting higher and higher, they should schedule repair services. Getting their heater fixed can cause the energy bill to return to its normal level and let property owners save money.
About Crowe’s Comfort Solutions
At Crowes Comfort Solutions, their customer’s comfort is their top priority. They have emergency services available and guarantee 100% satisfaction with every appointment. Call them today for HVAC services in East Providence, RI.